Jun 25, 2014

Gorgeous hair is the best revenge. -Ivana Trump

I´ve been absent for quite a while. But there is a proper reason for that: I have been working and trying to graduate. The last one I did a week ago! Hooray! Now I've been on a holiday, but there are still some upcoming changes which are going to be quick and chaotic -eek!

But for now it's time to shape up and make a post. I visited our capital city a few years ago with one of my vintage loving friends. We entered this legendary shop which always presents some rare finds. This time I picked up a hairnet that was sprayed with pretty selfmade felt flowers. It really was a 1940s statement piece. It was a decorated version of plain hairnets that were used along with the thicker knitted versions, snoods. Thinner hairnets were meant to hold a hairdo together through the day and snoods for one were more rough and work related. Both were popular in the 1940s. The flowers in this particular decorated net were made in different colors: reddish orange, blue, poisonous green..My friend loved it too and bought it. I haven't stopped thinking about it and decided to finally make my own. 


Here are the instructions for a 1940s flowery hairnet:

What you need:
hairnet
felt(s)
beads
stick pins
scissors
pliers

First of all you need to pick up some felts. Then make a pattern out of paper. Before drawing and cutting the pattern you need to decide how small or large you want the flowers to be. I just draw circles by using a circular object. Use the pattern and cut out a wanted number of flowers from the felt(s).


Use scissors and roughly cut petals. Make them more life-like by rubbing and rolling the flowers between your hands.

 

Attach a couple of felt flowers together by using jewelry stick pins and beads to make the flower look more full. String a bead to the stick pin and force the pin through the flowers.



Use pliers to attach ready flowers to the hairnet. (Find a volunteer like a spouse and borrow his/her head as a hairnet stand -it really eases the work!) Twist the free end of the stick pin to a circle and attach to a string of the net. I attached the flowers to the bottom part of the net. after applying all the flowers the net is ready to wear!




3 comments:

  1. Oi, aivan ihana! Sinulla on aina niin hyviä askerteluideoita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a GREAT idea! I have a couple hair nets I don't know what to do with, and I'm going to have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this via Pinterest - great idea, I will definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete